Schizophrenia is a long-term illness that will continue to impact an individual’s perceptions, emotions, and behavior throughout their life. The experienced physicians at Psychiatric Wellness Center offer accurate diagnosis and comprehensive treatment for patients with this complicated mental illness. Patients in Bakersfield, California, can make an appointment by contacting Psychiatric Wellness Center.
What is schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a severe mental disorder that causes patients to perceive the world abnormally. This disorder is often lifelong and can be dangerous, both for the patient and those around them.
What types of therapy are available from Psychiatric Wellness Center?
Psychiatric Wellness Center offers several different types of psychotherapy to patients, including:
- Family therapy – Family therapy is therapy designed to resolve issues among parents and children.
- Grief therapy – Grief therapy is ideal for patients who have just experienced a significant loss.
- Couples therapy – Couples therapy is designed to resolve issues between people in an intimate relationship.
- Geriatric therapy – The purpose of geriatric therapy is to help patients deal with mental issues related to the aging process.
- Dialectical behavior therapy – This type of therapy was originally designed to treat patients with borderline personality disorder, but it can be effective in the treatment of other issues as well.
- Solution-focused therapy – The goal of solution-focused therapy is to help the patient construct and achieve solutions for the problems in their life.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy – Cognitive behavioral therapy aims to help patients change unwanted behaviors or patterns of thinking that impact their life in a negative way.
- EMDR Therapy – See explanation below.
What causes schizophrenia?
The exact cause of schizophrenia isn’t clear, but it may be a combination of genetics, environmental factors, and brain chemistry. Studies have shown that patients with schizophrenia have central nervous system and brain structure differences that may contribute to their disorder. Imbalances in certain brain chemicals, including glutamate and dopamine, may also play a role in the development of schizophrenia.
What are the symptoms of schizophrenia?
Some of the most common symptoms of schizophrenia include:
- False beliefs that aren’t based in reality (delusions)
- Seeing or hearing things that aren’t real (hallucinations)
- Disorganized thinking and/or speech
- Abnormal movements, such as strange posture or excessive movement
- Poor hygiene
- Thoughts of suicide and/or suicide attempts
The symptoms may vary based on the age of the patient, the severity of the disorder, and other factors.
How is schizophrenia diagnosed?
The doctors at Psychiatric Wellness Center may suspect schizophrenia based on a patient’s obvious symptoms and/or descriptions of the patient’s symptoms. However, to confirm the diagnosis, the doctor will perform a thorough psychiatric evaluation. If the patient meets the criteria described in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, they will be diagnosed with schizophrenia.
What treatments are available from Psychiatric Wellness Center?
Most people with schizophrenia will need at least one medication to control their symptoms, and many patients will need multiple prescriptions. The doctors at Psychiatric Wellness Center will work closely with the patient to find a combination of medications that works effectively.
In addition to taking medication, patients with schizophrenia may also benefit from individual therapy, family therapy, social skills training, and vocational training. Patients experiencing severe symptoms because of schizophrenia may need to be hospitalized, either temporarily or permanently. Family members and caretakers of patients with this disorder should be vigilant and report any significant behavioral changes or symptoms they notice so that the patient can get the treatment they need.
At Psychiatric Wellness Center, our experienced psychiatrists and therapists can diagnose and provide you with effective treatment for symptoms of schizophrenia. Contact us today.
© Copyright 2023 Psychiatric Wellness Center
Powered & Designed by Citryn, LLC